Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2 weeks deep "I just had a baby"

It is amazing how confident you feel the older you get 2 weeks into my 30's and I feel better than the characters on "Sex in The City."  I am also amazed by the things I am accomplishing on my list.   I had no idea how they would make me feel.  I feel productive and alive.  Recently I had complained to my husband about excuses and didn't want to continue to use the excuse "I just had a baby,"   I don't want that to hold me back from volunteering, getting in shape and enjoying friends.  I want the fact that "I just had a baby" to enrich all of those things.  So in the spirit of my excuse I will update what I have been doing on my list of 30.....

1. Volunteer - "I just had a baby" now I am volunteering to help low income teenagers learn about nutrition and healthy cooking. I want my son to be proud of his mother and learn about service to those less fortunate.

I attended the volunteer orientation this week for "Cooking Matters."  They are amazing and I am even more amazed that just 2 wonderful ladies organize it all with the help of volunteers.  I learned about food insecurity and how hunger looks different in America than it does globally.  Our low income communities are suffering from obesity from eating food that lacks the nutrition they need to live a healthful life.  Using government programs like SNAP (food stamps) presents challenges for the recipients when shopping for food to prepare meals.  Cooking Matters and Share our Strength provides these communities with the tools they need to cook, budget and understand nutrition.  I am excited to share my strength with the knowledge I have learned in culinary school and at the restaurant and corporation I have cooked for and become a chef instructor.

2. Learn how to play the Mandolin- " I Just had a baby" and would love to share music I love with him.  I also value my own time and interests.

My first lesson is Thursday and I am very excited a little nervous too. I hope I can get over the adult learning curve.  I wish I would have stuck with the violin, guitar or even the recorder that I played when I was younger ;)


20. Get back to my pre-baby no pre-relationship weight :)  - " I Just had a baby" and I am tired but motivated to eat healthy and exercise.  I want to be able to take care of myself, husband and son also wearing a bikini again wouldn't be too shabby either.

I added weight training this last week and I am down 2 more pounds and I feel great!  15 lbs to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment